I was hoping to wake up early this morning (6:30) for a trail run to beat the heat that’s struck California in the past few days but that didn’t happen. Instead, I moseyed out of the house around 9, and the weather was already brutal.
I know, I know, I’m a wimp, but it was in the 80s by the time I finished! I debated about skipping the run, but knowing I had a draft of my first weekly workout recap waiting for me pushed me to stick it out. Accountability? Thank you blog!
I headed to Crockett Hills Regional Park. It seems to be one of the more unpopular regional parks in the East Bay (you mean you don’t like refinery views and the sound of traffic when you run?), but it’s got a lot of gently rolling hills which make for good training.
It also has a special place in my heart because it’s the first place I had a Shut Up + Run moment. TMI?
What I had planned on being a trail run ended up being a hike/trail run combo because of the heat. That’s okay with me though. When things get warmer than what I’m acclimated to, I switch to running on effort instead of running for pace. Mostly because I like to avoid things like chills, dizziness and fainting.
The smartest decision I made was wearing my Brooks D’Light Mesh Tank. I was worried that it was too thin when I first got it but today it really helped to keep me cool. I know your day wasn’t complete until you saw my fancy hair and flared nostrils.
Even though it wasn’t the run I had planned, any run is good in my book. Here’s what my week looked like.
Monday: 1 mile warm-up on the treadmill (5.5 mph @ 2% incline) and 45 min strength
Tuesday: 3.55 miles street running, 11:21 average pace
Wednesday: Unexpected rest
Friday: 35 min strength
Sunday: 3.22 mile trail run/hike
Total Mileage: 11.7
Overall: The past 2-3 weeks were scaled back in terms of mileage due to travel and general life busyness. I’m working on building my mileage back up, so I’m good with these numbers. Especially since two of the runs were in weather hotter than I’m used to running in. It’s the summer, time to suck it up and acclimate!
And what about those June goals? How’d I do?
- Set a PR in See Jane Run 5K – Accomplished!
- Find a one piece bathing suit so I can start swimming laps again – not accomplished but really I’m fine with that. Rocking a few new two pieces though!
- Try to get a little ahead of the game with my blogging content – not really accomplished. I was hoping to generate content a little more ahead of the game than the day of, but time crunchiness hasn’t allowed that to happen…yet!
- Experiment with 2-3 new recipes (probably some type of vegetable/bean/grain salads) in prep of July camping trip – I’m calling this one done! I’ll be making them this week and telling you all about them soon enough.
- “Break in” my new hiking boots (I’ve taken them out once and they’re so comfy I don’t think they’ll need much breaking in!) – My hiking boots have been lonely and neglected. Moving this one to July.
- Stay active on my girls trip to Mexico – Accomplished!
- Volunteer at the Special Olympics – Accomplished, post coming soon!
Are you facing the heat where you live too?
What did your weekly workouts look like?
Do you set monthly goals? Yearly? Not a believer in setting goals?